Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Helioderms 103: Deflated


Call me the Walter Keane (actually, his wife Margaret is the real painter of those big-eyed kids) of fantasy if you like but the fact is that young mammals (even if they lay eggs) are cute. In this case, the eyes are even sad.

I guess we can all get deflated from time to time but for a blimpephants it’s literal. I’m thinking that there may be a children’s book here.

To balance out the cute I’m including a cross-section of a helioderm propeller. Whenever I create an animal I like to imagine it inside and out. Sometimes it helps my drawing but I do it mostly for the fun of it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's such a treat to see your new work! You're a continuing inspiration for all of us up-and-coming fantasy artists. This is true fantasy stuff. Thank you!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I’m thinking that there may be a children’s book here."
I think that would be terrific! Not that you mention it, I am surprised we haven't had a Kidd children's book yet- is it time yet?

8:53 AM  
Blogger Tom Kidd said...

My friend, James Warhola, left book covers to do children's books and hasn't looked back. It might not work for me though; my thoughts tend to lean towards the subversive. Also, I have a seriously deficient ability in selling my own ideas.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discover your work, and I confess I'm really fascinated by your art and the world you have created. Your "bestiary" (but blimpephants are they normal beast?) is complex and consistent, your skies are like huge spaces we want to discover, and all seems to be extract of a wonderful dream. I just have to congratulate you! ;)

(I put your blog in my favorite, tell me if you care!)

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home