Sunday, October 31, 2010

Segrelles Tree: A Horror Story

Below is a excerpt from my book Gnemo:
The lovely Casso beckoned me to sit next to her on a bench that circled a tree. As I sat she pulled out a piece of paper and she read me her terrible poem:
Gentle creatures come close to me
Take in the sweet musk of my tree
Her scent will make you float on air
and newly freed of any care
Limp and placid, without a fear
The end of you is very near
My love needs you inside of her
In you go with nary a stir
I give to you one final kiss
Your sacrifice releases bliss
My lovely tree will now release
A misty dust that gives me peace
Great euphoria envelops me
I love you my Segrelles Tree

A voice in the back of my head yelled run, and not from the bad poetry alone, but the intoxicant released by Casso’s beautiful Segrelles Tree held me in her charms. Lunch to this tree seemed to be my unavoidable destiny. Casso’s addiction required my sacrifice but her confidence in my love let her release me with the full expectation I’d return for dinner.
-- Gnemo

PS: If you haven't yet, please buy my most recent book OtherWorlds: How to Imagine, Paint and Create Epic Scenes of Fantasy.

4 Comments:

Blogger A. Riabovitchev said...

Beautiful illustration!Love the light especially .:o)

5:33 AM  
Blogger Tom Kidd said...

Thanks Andrei. I like to try a variety of light sources to find the right mood. The mood here is a meant to be deceptive though. It's how Gnemo saw it when he was intoxicated by both Casso and her tree. Maybe I'm ruining the painting by telling the story and should let the painting speak for itself.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous EP said...

Beautiful composition, Tom.

Once again you have done a painting exactly like I wanted to do. Coincidentally, I never quite realized I wanted to do that painting, until you had already done it.

Funny how that keeps happening.

Glad to see you posting again. Please keep at it, for all of us fans of yours.

EP

11:42 AM  
Blogger Tom Kidd said...

Thanks Mr. EP. I promise to go postal on you . . . I mean post more.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home